Through our relationship with London South Bank University (LSBU), AES offers The LSBU Semester Programme, which allows you to study and intern in London. The programme runs for 15 weeks in the fall & spring semesters, allowing you to gain practical experience while earning academic credit. All majors are eligible for the programme.
You will undertake an unpaid internship for 20 hours a week, alongside a weekly work placement seminar. We generally work with medium to small sized companies. In our experience, smaller companies can offer a more hands on experience for you. We will ensure that all placements follow a learning agreement, so that you are able to gain a variety of skills & are exposed to as many aspects of a British business as possible. You will have a supervisor who will closely monitor your work. We choose organisations that are able to offer one to one support for their interns.
In addition, programme participants also enrol in two classes (modules) at LSBU. You will be able to choose modules from across the University, with all Study Abroad students taking one of LSBU’s Study Abroad specific modules: ‘London: City of Change’ or ‘Made in London’. Transcripts for these courses will be issued by LSBU.
• Full time degree level student
• Minimum 2.75 GPA
• Over 18 years old
• Fluent English
• Skype pre-placement interview with experienced AES staff
• Internship within a suitable organisation prior to arrival in London.
• Comprehensive pre-departure materials (click here for guidelines)
• Dedicated Internship Coordinator & Student Services Manager
• Guidelines on applying for your UK Tier 4 visa
• Arrival orientation
• Supervision of the placement
• Full support during your placement including access to the AES internship office
• Mid-term site visit by AES staff
• 15 weeks accommodation in shared flats in travel Zone 1 or 2
• Full access to London South Bank University teaching staff
• 2 courses at London South Bank University
• Work-Based Learning seminars
• Transcript for academic courses from London South Bank University
• Grade report from AES
• Access to AES discounted tickets and events
Students are housed in friendly and secure neighbourhoods in central London (Zone 1 or 2). All flats have a full kitchen and lounge area, with 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms which accommodate between three and eight interns, depending on the number of bedrooms. The flats include weekly cleaning and basic internet access – Although conveniently located near a variety of attractions and shopping, students may need to commute to their internship site. This provides interns a real London workday experience.
Additional costs (not included in the AES programme fee):
• Airfare to/from UK. Please check here for special rates for AES students.
• UK Visa fee (approx. £348)
• Travel Insurance (check with your school or university)
Fall 2019 Spring 2020
Application deadline: 16th June 2019
Programme dates: 16th September to 13th December 2019 (TBC)
Application deadline: 15th October 2019
Programme dates: 20th January to 15th May 2020 (TBC)