The Bloomsbury Summer Programme allows you to study and intern in London. The programme runs for 8 weeks in the summer only, allowing you to gain practical experience while earning academic credit. All majors are eligible for the programme.
You will undertake an unpaid placement for 15 hours a week and 4 work placement seminars that are spread across the 8 week semester; these are on 4 Mondays from 6–8pm. We generally work with medium to small sized companies. In our experience, smaller companies can offer a more hands on experience for you. We will ensure that all placements follow a learning agreement, so that you are able to gain a variety of skills & are exposed to as many aspects of British business as possible. You will have a supervisor who will closely monitor your work. We choose organisations that are able to offer one to one support for their interns.
In addition, programme participants enrol in one class (modules) at Birkbeck, University of London. You can choose from approximately 6 different course options. Transcripts for these courses will be issued by Birkbeck.
• Full time degree level student
• Minimum 2.75 GPA
• Over 18 years old
• Fluent English.
• Skype interview with experienced AES staff
• Placement within a suitable organisation prior to arrival in London.
• Comprehensive pre-departure materials
• Dedicated Internship Coordinator & Student Services Manager
• Guidelines on applying for your UK Tier 4 visa
• Arrival orientation
• Supervision of the placement
• Full support during your placement including access to the AES internship office.
• Mid-term site visit by AES staff
• 8 weeks’ accommodation in shared flats in travel Zone 1 or 2
• Full access to Birkbeck, University of London teaching staff
• 1 course at Birkbeck, University of London
• Work-Based Learning seminar
• 24 hour computing facilities at Birkbeck, University of London
• University of London Student Union Membership
• Access to University of London libraries
• Transcript for academic courses from Birkbeck, University of London
• Grade report from AES
• 24 hour Freephone emergency number
• Continuous access to AES discounted tickets and events
Students are housed in friendly and secure neighbourhoods in central London (Zone 1 or 2). All flats have a full kitchen and lounge area, with 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms which accommodate between three and eight interns, depending on the number of bedrooms. The flats include weekly cleaning and basic internet access – Although conveniently located near a variety of attractions and shopping, students may need to commute to their internship site. This provides interns a real London workday experience.
Additional costs (not included in the AES programme fee):
• Airfare to/from UK. Please check here for special rates for AES students.
• UK Visa fee (approx. £335)
• Travel Insurance (check with your school or university)
Application deadline: 16th March 2018
Programme dates: 4th June to 27th July 2018
AES have a wide range of fields that are available Field not listed? —Please ask as we may be able to help.
Like the sound of our Bloomsbury Summer Programme? Click here to find out how to apply!How to Apply