The London Semester Programme allows you to study and intern in London. The programme runs for 14 weeks in the fall & spring semesters, allowing you to gain practical experience while earning academic credit. All majors are eligible for the programme.
You will undertake an unpaid placement for up to 2.5 days a week and 4 work placement seminars that are spread across the 14 week semester; these are on 4 Mondays from 6–8pm. We generally work with medium to small sized companies. In our experience, smaller companies can offer a more hands on experience for you. We will ensure that all placements follow a learning agreement, so that you are able to gain a variety of skills & are exposed to as many aspects of a British business as possible. You will have a supervisor who will closely monitor your work. We choose organisations that are able to offer one to one support for their interns.
In addition, programme participants enrol in two classes (modules) at Birkbeck, University of London. You can choose from approximately 10 different course options. Transcripts for these courses will be issued by Birkbeck.
• Full time degree level student
• Minimum 2.75 GPA
• Over 18 years old
• Fluent English
• Skype pre-placement interview with experienced AES staff
• Internship (up to 2.5 days per week) within a suitable organisation prior to arrival in London.
• Comprehensive pre-departure materials (click here for guidelines)
• Dedicated Internship Coordinator & Student Services Manager
• Guidelines on applying for your UK Tier 4 visa
• Arrival orientation
• Supervision of the placement
• Full support during your placement including access to the AES internship office
• Mid-term site visit by AES staff
• 14 weeks accommodation in shared flats in travel Zone 1 or 2
• Full access to Birkbeck, University of London teaching staff
• 2 courses at Birkbeck, University of London
• Work-Based Learning seminar
• 24 hour computing facilities at Birkbeck, University of London
• University of London Student Union Membership
• Access to University of London libraries
• Transcript for academic courses from Birkbeck, University of London
• Grade report from AES
• 24 hour Freephone emergency number
• Access to AES discounted tickets and events
Students are housed in friendly and secure neighbourhoods in central London (Zone 1 or 2). All flats have a full kitchen and lounge area, with 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms which accommodate between three and eight interns, depending on the number of bedrooms. The flats include weekly cleaning and basic internet access – Although conveniently located near a variety of attractions and shopping, students may need to commute to their internship site. This provides interns a real London workday experience.
Additional costs (not included in the AES programme fee):
• Airfare to/from UK. Please check here for special rates for AES students.
• UK Visa fee (approx. £335)
• Travel Insurance (check with your school or university)
Fall 2018 Spring 2019 For Summer 2018 please see the Bloomsbury Summer Programme
Application deadline: 11th May 2018
Programme dates: 2nd August to 8th December 2018
Application deadline: 15th October 2018
Programme dates: 6th January to 13th April 2019
For Summer 2018 please see the Bloomsbury Summer Programme
Like the sound of Our AES London Semester Programmes? Click here to find out how to ApplyHow to Apply