The London Semester Programme allows you to study and intern in London. The programme runs for fifteen weeks in the Fall & spring semesters, allowing you to gain practical experience while earning academic credit. All majors are eligible for the programme.
You will undertake an unpaid placement for 20 hours a week. We generally work with medium to small sized companies. In our experience, smaller companies can offer a more hands on experience for you. We will ensure that all placements follow a learning agreement, so that you are able to gain a variety of skills & are exposed to as many aspects of British business as possible. You will have a supervisor who will closely monitor your work. We choose organisations that are able to offer one to one support for their interns.
In addition, programme participants enrol in two classes (modules) at Birkbeck, University of London. You can choose from approximately 18 different course options. Transcripts for these courses will be issued by Birkbeck.
• Full time degree level student.
• Minimum 2.75 GPA
• Over 18 years old.
• Fluent English.
- Skype pre-placement interview with experienced AES staff
- Internship within a suitable organisation prior to arrival in London.
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials (click here for guidelines)
- Dedicated Internship Co-ordinator & Student Services Manager
- Guidelines on applying for your UK Tier 4 visa
• Arrival orientation
• Supervision of the placement
• Full support during your placement including access to the AES internship office.
• Mid-term site visit by AES staff
•15 weeks’ accommodation in shared flats in travel Zone 1 or 2
• Full access to Birkbeck, University of London teaching staff
• 2 courses at Birkbeck, University of London
• 24 hour computing facilities at Birkbeck, University of London
• University of London Student Union Membership
• Access to University of London libraries
• Transcript for academic courses from Birkbeck, University of London
• Grade report from AES
• 24 hour Freephone emergency number
• Access to AES discounted tickets and events
Students are housed in friendly and secure neighbourhoods in central London (Zone 1 or 2). All flats have a full kitchen and lounge area, with 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms which accommodate between three and eight interns, depending on the number of bedrooms. The flats include weekly cleaning and basic internet access – Although conveniently located near a variety of attractions and shopping, students may need to commute to their internship site. This provides interns a real London workday experience.
Additional costs (not included in the AES programme fee):
• Airfare to/from UK. Please check here for special rates for AES students.
• UK Visa fee (approx. £322)
• Travel Insurance (check with your school or university)
Spring 2016 Fall 2016
Application deadline: 9th October 2015
Programme dates: 4th January to 14th April 2016
Application deadline: 13th May 2016
Programme dates: 5th Sept to 8th December 2016
Like the sound of Our AES London Semester Programmes? Click here to find out how to ApplyHow to Apply